tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 13 19:49:59 1996

Re: help with this.

>Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 16:53:50 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Denny Shortliffe)
>
>>>If, by CK, you mean Conversational Klingon, I'm not sure how you
>>>determined the spelling of that word.  In the dictionary, it's {qeq} and
>>>means "to train" in the sense of "to drill", not "to aim".  If it was used
>>>in CK in that latter sense, IMHO, it was wrong (not the only case I've
>>>found in that tape!).  Therefore, I stand by my choice of {puS}.
>>
>>The verb in Conversation Klingon is *not* {qeq}, if you listen.  The
>>pronunciation is clearly {Qeq}, it's translated as "aim" and not "practice"
>>("he aims the missile perfectly"; "drill" would not make sense), it was
>>transcribed as {Qeq} in HolQeD and that spelling (like almost all the
>>others in HolQeD) has been confirmed by Marc Okrand.
>>
>>~mark
>
>You have also not indicated why TKD (the original document) says "qeq".  I
>don't have access to HolQeD (lack of funds) and can only go with what's
>available commercially here in the Great White North.  But how was I to
>know that TKD is now considered unreliable and no longer canon?

TKD says "qeq" because the verb for "drill, train" is "qeq."  The tape says
"Qeq" because the verb for "aim" is "Qeq."  It should also be noted that
TKD says "ghop" because the noun for "hand" is "ghop."  Similar examples
are easy to find.

TKD is still canon, and so are the other sources which Dr. Okrand has
furnished.  There are words which he as introduced into the language after
the dictionary's publication.  See http://www.kli.org/kli/newwords.html.

~mark

Back to archive top level