tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 13 16:54:00 1996

Re: <K'>vaD ghItlhlu''a'?

>By the way, if you're going to complain about "illegal" spelling, you
>should be aware that the only known syllable-final consonant clusters
>are {-rgh}, {-w'}, and {-y'}.  {-yq} as in {mayq} has never been seen
>in any tlhIngan Hol words, and indeed Marc Okrand has gone to extremes
>to avoid other consonant clusters when transliterating terms into the
>spelling we use.

Linguists have a term for vowels which go together (dipthong maybe?).  In
any case, the point is that the name {mayq} doesn't end in {yq} though
it may look like it does.  In fact, it ends in {q} since the {ay} group
is indivisible.

>(That's why I was joking about the name {mayq} last week -- it doesn't
>fit the spelling rules we have deduced.  But I only said I'd make fun
>of it if it belonged to a Klingon.  I didn't say I'd complain about
>it, and I never meant to imply that it was illegal.)

Qapla'

qrlIH veStaySortlhIH Sogh la'       Lt. Commander K'rlikh Vestai-Shor-Klikh
tlhIngan wo' Duj qIj leng ra'wI'    Commanding Officer, IKV Black Odyssey
Qanpu' pogh DuQ cha'DIch ra'wI'     Deputy C.O., Mailed Glove Squadron

a.k.a.

--
Denny Shortliffe

Back to archive top level