tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 07 14:37:35 1996

RE: KLBC: vIttlhegh vImugh

jatlh HurghwI':

>  mu'tlheghmeywIj tIlughmoHmeH.

Drop the {-meH} and you're fine.  I doubt you can put any Type 9 verb suffix
on an imperative and have it make sense; "In order to correct them!" doesn't
work as a command!  {mu'tlheghmeywIj tIlughmoH} "Correct my sentences!"

>  tlhIngan Hol:
>  *Sur* rur tay'moHwI''ochHomnav'e'. wav Dop Hurgh Dop je ghaj 'oH 'ej 'u'
>  tay'moH.
>
>  English:
>  Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, and a dark side, and it
>  holds the universe together.

Oh dear.  Yes, I've heard this "proverb" before.  It's rather cute!  Let's
take this one sentence at a time.

*{*Sur* rur tay'moHwI''ochHomnav'e'.}
"Duct tape is like the force."

What a mouthful!  I'd have never have gotten this without the English to back
it up!  You started by using *{Sur} for "Force."  You obviously extracted this
from {Surchem} "force field."  This is a no-no.  You simply cannot do this in
Klingon.  For one thing, how do you know that the {Sur-} element is the part
that is referring to "force"?  It could be {-chem}.  Or it could be a word
derived from some other source buried in Klingon history.  You did flag it,
which kept me from trying to look it up, but this is generally just a bad
idea.  Leave it in English, or find a Klingon equivalent.  Perhaps you could
have used {HoS} or {HoS'a'}, *maybe* flagging it to show that you are
identifying a specific name, instead.

Your next word, *{tay'moHwI''ochHomnav'e'} took me a while to figure out, even
when I knew what it was supposed to mean.  "Thing which causes to be
together-minor tunnel-paper" is a bit difficult to follow.  Again, either
stick with the English or find a reasonable Klingon equivalent, one which we
can understand.  If I said {Humbogh nav SuD}, there would be much more chance
of someone recognizing it.  It still might be up in the air.  Essentially,
don't jam lots of nouns together, because it's hard to follow.

Your sentence might end up as

{*HoS'a'* rur Humbogh nav SuD'e'.}

>  wav Dop Hurgh Dop je ghaj 'oH 'ej 'u' tay'moH.
"It has a light side, and a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

You made a minor spelling error with {wov}.

When using verbs as adjectives (like "light side"), don't forget that it comes
*after* the noun.  {Dop wov Dop Hurgh ja ghaj 'oH}.  Otherwise, this sentence
looks good!

*HoS'a'* rur Humbogh nav SuD'e'.  Dop wov, Dop Hurgh je ghaj 'oH 'ej 'u'
tay'moH.

SuStel
Stardate 96854.0

Back to archive top level