tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 31 22:35:47 1996

Re: KLBC

Thomas Zeman writes:
>Here is my first try at expressing some (very basic) thoughts in tlhIngan
>Hol.  Let me know how I do.
>
>tera'ngan jiH.  <I am a Terran.>

This is fine (except for the spelling -- there is no letter {i} in Klingon).

>tlhIngan Hol jIghojtahmo' suvwI'pu' Hol 'oh.  <I am learning
>(continuously) the Klingon language because it is the language of warriors.>

"Because I (cont.) learn the Klingon language, it is the warriors' language."
Close, but you've put {-mo'} on the wrong verb.  Verb suffixes attach to the
verbs in the clause they are connected to.  You also need to use the correct
verb prefix; you used {jI-} which means there is no object in the sentence,
but {tlhIngan Hol} is the object of {ghoj} so you need to use {vI-}.  Again,
be careful with how you capitalize the letters.  It might seem silly that we
insist on {D} and {H} and {I} and {S} being always upper case, but they're
that way for a reason (to remind the speaker that they don't sound the same
way the letters do in english) and that's how we're used to seeing them.

>jatlhchu' jIneH.  <I want to speak clearly.>

This is translated into Klingon as "I want [that] I speak clearly."  There
isn't an "infinitive" in Klingon grammar; you must use a complete sentence
to express the meaning.  The first word needs to be {jIjatlhchu'}.  You're
consistently using {jI-} where {vI-} is appropriate.  Don't forget that the
suffixes describe the object of the sentence as well as the subject.

>qep'a' wejDIchdaq jIjaHchugh yap huchwIj.  <I will go to the Third Great
>Meeting if my money is sufficient.>

"If I go to the third convention my money is sufficient."  The prefixes are
okay, but {-chugh} is on the wrong verb.  The subordinate clause you used is
"if my money is sufficient", which is translated {yapchugh HuchwIj}.  There
is no "if" on "I will go to the third convention."

>tugh jIwuq.  <Soon I will decide.>

This is fine.

>I am looking forward to your critiques!  Also, I have noted the custom of
>people assuming "Klingon names" here.  After much searching, I am
>considering calling myself: qejwI', as in "The Grouchy One", or "He who
>is grouchy".  (Those who know me best say this would be appropriate.)
>Opinions anyone?

Not that I have a leg to stand on, but I'm distressed by the number of
"names" that end with {-wI'}.  Names don't have to be nouns; they don't
even have to be translatable.  (Though it is handy if they are able to
be *pronounced*.)

>One further question:  how would you say the "fencer" in tlhIngan Hol (as
>in someone who fights using a sword)?  Everything I've come up with so far
>has been a whole sentence.

"Someone who fights using a sword" can be translated with a relative clause
using the verb suffix {-bogh}.  First it has to be rearranged to get rid of
the untranslatable "with":  "someone who uses a sword in order to fight".
Then I would simplify it to "a fighter who uses a sword" and translate it
{'etlh lo'bogh SuvwI''e'}.  This phrase can be used just about anywhere a
noun can be used.

It is possible to say {'etlh lo'wI'} "sword user" and approach the meaning.
It might also work to try {'etlh SuvwI'} "sword fighter", but this is a bit
ambiguous.  It makes perfect sense if you already know what you're trying
to say, but someone who doesn't understand it to begin with would not find
your meaning obvious.