tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 29 21:52:50 1996

Re: Boggle

[many on Boggle]

>>> Well, I've already ordered some dice I can modify to give it a try.  I think
>>> it could be a more forgiving game, and thus more useful for the language
>>> novice, than Scrabble.
>>> What do you think?

>> IMNSHO, I don't know whether this game translates very easily. All a player
>> has to do [this -almost- works] is look for the vowels surrounded by two
>> consonants, and write them down as quickly as possible. It might be a bit
>> more interesting if that person had to write down what the words meant in
>> English...

> When we set up the scrabble game, one of the requirments was to use
> the word in a sentence.  Even if this is not a requirment, then you
> would have to know what class (noun, verb, chuvmey) a word was in
> order to add affixes.

> Without doing a lot of work on comparing two letter sequences, here
> is my proposed substitution on the Boggle dice.  The derivation comes
> from a frequency count in English and tlhIngan Hol.

>z 	ng
>j 	tlh
>x 	Q
>qu	r
>k 	y
>v 	w
>p 	p
>b 	n
>m 	ch
>c 	t
>g 	b
>f 	q
>y 	l
>w 	S
>d 	gh
>u 	D
>l 	m
>h 	v
>r 	u
>i 	j
>s 	H
>n 	I
>a 	o
>o 	e
>t 	'
>e 	a

What frequency count was used here? For instance, the first six in the
English list should be "e, t, a, o, n, i, r, s, h, ...". Similarly, we need
some "average" tlhIngan ghItlh to work from for this. Maybe counting the
frequencies in Hamlet would produce a good distribution.

> Matt Whiteacre
> [email protected]

Qapla'

voqHa'wI'