tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 29 15:27:48 1996

Re: Use of 'e'

In a message dated 96-05-29 16:34:18 EDT, wovwI' wrote:

>I've noticed that in conversation people use 'e' to follow up on
>sentences spoken by someone else, as in:
>
>jatlh wovwI': DaH tlhIngan Hol parlaw' loDnalwI'
>jatlh SuStel: 'e' vIHar.
>
>Any comments on this usage?

Reason #1 that I accept it: it works in English, too.

wovwI': Now my husband seems to dislike Klingon.
SuStel: I believe that.

Admittedly, it's not a very good reason.

Reason #2: Since the second speaker is, in fact, referring to the previous
sentence (whoever spoke it), why shouldn't it be used?

This is the good reason.

>(Disclaimer: The above is not a real transcript. I don't log MUSH
>sessions, and to my recollection, SuStel never said that.)

I do.  But somehow, after a good, long talk with wovwI', with cameos by
ghunchu'wI' and achghuQ, I closed the telnet client before saving the
session!!!  Qu'vatlh!

(Actually, I think you were mentioning something along those lines above, and
I said {'e' vIyaj}.)

SuStel
Hovjaj 96410.4

Back to archive top level