tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 29 09:55:33 1996

RE: Klingon writing tool

TL>>Hmmm, I'd say the weapons themselves more resemble Chinese martial arts
TL>>weapons.  Japanese weapons are a bit more austere.  Both the betleH and the
TL>>meqleH are much to 'busy' to resemble Japanese weapons.

TL>As I don't know what you mean with austere in this sense, I couldn't
TL>comment, except to say that if austere means severe then I'm completly lost.
TL>A large curved two handed blade, not very severe, I know not of a Japanese
TL>hand held weapon which could have the same attack probability as a betleH.
TL>The d'k tahg resembles early Japanese sword and knife making, with the gutte

TL>---------------
TL>In this sense; austere - simple.

TL>The traditional Japanese weapons were all very simple in form.
TL>Traditional Chinese weapons range from the simple to the much more elaborate
TL>The betleH and mekleH both qualify as elaborate in comparison with the most
TL>revered of the Japanese weapons; the katana.
TL>---------------------------

TL>>As for the martial arts;  the Klingon version of Tai Chi, mokbara (sp)
TL>shown by Worf is, well, Yang
TL>>Tai Chi in its appearance - Chinese, not Japanese.

TL>Not that I'm a martial arts expert or anything, but I thought that, that
TL>which you call Mok'bara, resembeled kata, more than Tai Chi,
TL>----------------
TL>Kata is just a sequence of moves and postures, in Chinese MAs we call them
TL>forms or sets, same thing.  Tai Chi is just that; a series of postures and m
TL>or a set/form/kata.
TL>----------------
TL>but even more
TL>so because of the fight that Worf had with that Bajoran youth, which gave
TL>her the chance to speak out against her teacher. Don't forget why Mok'bara
TL>is taught, that is to enhance one's agility in hand-to-hand combat, it
TL>helped to revive the dormant warrior spirit in "Birthright I" Stardate
TL>46578.4. In this way kata is also used to heighten the hand-eye and
TL>hand-to-hand combat ability of the karate user.
TL>----------------
TL>Kata/forms/sets, in Japanese or Chinese MAs, are used for a number of purpos
TL>including agility, physical exercise, hand-eye coordination, and improving t
TL>ability to move from posture to posture smoothly, quickly, and with power.
TL>----------------

TL>Tai Chi is in no part a
TL>physical fighting exercise, thus would be a useless comparison to be used in
TL>conjuncture with Mok'bara. This naturaly means that Dan Curry [see ST:E] is
TL>not as much of an expert as he thinks that he is, but neither are the writer

TL>----------------
TL>Hold on, back up the wagon pardoner.  Tai Chi, in it's original and pure for
TL>*exaclty* a fighting art.  There are three major 'internal' fighting arts fr
TL>Tai Chi, Hsing-I, and Pa Kua.  Among the Tai Chi styles are; Yang, Chen, Wu,
TL>Sun, and others.  Every one of these was developed SPECIFICALLY as a fightin
TL>art.  Trace the lineages for yourself.

> [...]

I find this extremely interesting. I also have made the dichotomy
between what the Hollywood folk are doing and what ought to be done,
sort of a kind of schzophrenic style to be sure, but one in which I
accept there is a fighting art simliar to Tai Chi which has not been
fully developed by the writers, but which we ought imagine as being
developed for persons of the heft of a tlhIngan--.
Remeber they are big and strong with great endurance, not small and
needing to use weight against a larger opponent.
Their art would naturally be a bit different from our Oriental arts, and
we can not rely on script writers who are trying to fill a scene to give
us useful moves.

Back to archive top level