tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 28 08:58:47 1996

Re: FONTS

On Mon, 27 May 1996 20:38:53 -0700 [email protected]
wrote:
> In a message dated 96-05-24 20:19:53 EDT, you
write:

> >>I've just found a zip file full of star trek fonts on the HOLODECK 3 web
> >>site....
> >>
> >>http://www.starbase21.com/holodeck3/
> >
> >They're all .TTF files, useless on my Macintosh in their current form.
> >Can someone point me at a font file format converter program?
> >
> >-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

Also, if you are up for the investment, Fontographer is
available on both Mac and Windows. Besides translating fonts
between TrueType and PostScript, they also allow you to add
kerning and otherwise edit the fonts to your liking.

I used it, for instance, to take Lawrence's PostScript font,
translate it into TrueType, strip out the two different
character sets he put in uppercase vs. lowercase so that each
resulting font showed the same characters regardless of case,
kerned it, then created a Romanized font which had the same
character combinations (ch, gh, ng, tlh)as pIqaD.

I used the result in my Annotated Klingon Dictionary, so for
each entry, I type the word once, drag and drop a copy, then
change the font on one of the copies and I can see the word in
pIqaD and Romanized and I don't have to worry about mispelling
between the two copies. While editing 1,700 or so words, this
can be important.

Also, note that Lawrence used Fontographer to create the font in
the first place. That's a significant endorsement...

> Alltype by Atech, now Owl Software, Hollywood, CA.
> peHruS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level