tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 26 15:37:22 1996

Re: New here

Scott McCool writes:
>>So why do you say {nuqneH} when *you* begin?  You used one Klingon
>>word, but you misused that word.
>
>I was under the impression that it was a traditional greeting.
>I was misstaken.

It's actually the *only* greeting!  According to TKD's introduction:

  "...When two Klingons meet each other (except in cases
   where military protocol determines behavior), if anything of
   an introductory nature is said, it is an expression that can best
   be translated as 'What do you want?'"

I don't think it's appropriate to begin a conversation with {nuqneH}.
When answering a hail (or answering the phone), I think it's perfect.
If someone approaches me and doesn't immediately state his business,
I'd consider using it.  Depending on the exact situation though, it
might be better to glare at the stranger and say {bIjatlhbe'chugh vaj
bIHegh}.