tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 25 15:55:27 1996

Re: Foam weapons

vanya writes:
>*Cuckoo's Nest Enterprises* luponglu' juppu'wI'.
>[this *luponglu'* looks bizarre. is it right??]

Not in this case.  {-lu'} means the sentence has no definite subject,
but your sentence does have one: {juppu'wI'}.  When the suffix {-lu'}
is used, the prefix {lu} means the *object* is third-person plural,
or "them".

Of course, the verb {pong} itself is problematical.  When the english
verb "name, call" is used, two things get identified: the name itself,
and the person or thing being named.  We don't have any instructions
for how to do this in Klingon.  There are several good theories, but
none of them are backed up well by canon sources.

>malja' chu' luche'.

"They run a new business." {lu-} is fine here.

>*catalogue*chaj qangeHqang.
>
>*catalogue*Daq betleH cha'be' 'ach vay' luchenmoH *Cuckoo's Nest
>Enterprises* luQumpu'.
>[terrified about repeated use of lu- and -lu' in this. Heeellllllp! ;) ]

"It doesn't show a betleH in the catalogue, but they have communicated
'CNE make something.'"

If you consider the business to be plural, {lu-} is appropriate.  (This
seems to change based on which side of the Atlantic Ocean one is on -- I
think most Americans consider "Universal Pictures" to be singular.)  But
then the first part of the sentence is a little strange; *what* doesn't
show the betleH?  I'm also assuming that you are using {Qum} as a verb of
saying; if otherwise, there is a missing {'e'} before {luQumpu'}.