tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 24 20:36:09 1996

Re: Nuuk naiK!? (new subscriber)

Carlos "shenoykj" Rodri'guez writes:
>Nuuk naiK!?
>If you've noticed, I'm using another transcription system (sorry about that),
>one I developed on my own.

_The Klingon Dictionary_ gives a standard transcription system which is
used by everyone else.  It also has a decidedly different system in the
appendix to indicate "rough pronunciation" for the benefit of those who
haven't studied the official transcription.  Why invent yet another way
of writing which will only serve to hinder communication?

>It is a little different and much better on
>paper, where I can put a breve over the "e" instead of writing "ai".

If your system changes with the medium, I don't think it's going to be
very useful.  By the way, how are you pronouncing that /ai/ of yours?
According to TKD, {e} is pronounced as in English "sensor", not as in
"weight".

>I will
>consult the "good book" (which I bought a yr. ago) to find out the standard
>Tlhingaan way.

Thank you.  That will make things easier for everyone involved.

>names: Kishan Shenoy, MetalliKish, the dude, "Carlos Rodri'guez," shenoykj

Pick one, please.  It's hard enough keeping track of the people on this list
without having to sort through multiple names for a single person. :-)