tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 22 09:16:27 1996

Re: Re[2]: Klingon writing tool

>Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 07:08:09 -0400
>From: [email protected] (Frank M Truelove)

>"Someone here once, a long time ago, suggested that they were made (in part,
>anyway) by stamping out the letters using various parts of the hand in
>various positions (presumably using the warm blood of one's prey as ink)."

>Was this before or after the film "Seven"?  Letters made with the hand of a
>victim, notable Sloth.  (grin)

It must have been before.  This was years ago, I think, and Seven isn't all
that old.

>"Then there's also considering the variations of typefaces.  Look at a
>standard Times Roman typeface: would you think it was drawn with a pen?"

>Personally, I'm discounting modern typefaces.  I'm assuming that the pIqaD was
>invented before moveable type.  And remember, Latin letters were chiselled with
>"all those serifs".

Yes, they were chiselled.  NOT written.  And modern typefaces are printed
with moveable type or computer printers, neither of which really cares
about strokes or lines, and so modern typefaces don't necessarily reflect
their beginnings as penstroked glyphs.

Why assume that the typeface of pIqaD that we've seen (we've only seen
one--but then the English on Star Trek is all mostly the same face also)
was invented before moveable type?  Most of the typefaces in use nowadays
on Earth were invented after moveable type (indeed, that's what prompted
the development of typefaces as typefaces), and they show it in their
shapes.  The Klingons of Star Trek are more advanced than we are now in
technology; they presumably had printing also (and certainly have
computers).  If we, hundreds of years before the Star Trek time-period, use
modern type, why shouldn't the Klingons have gone through a similar phase
of development?  If not "now", then certainly by the time we meet them in
ST.

>"They were derived from hand-drawn glyphs, but the derivation is no longer
>obvious"
>I'm not going to insist but I do think that the Klingons wouldn't involve
>themselves with a million or so fonts when one works quite well, dammit.
>(grinning)

Ah... Possible.  Hard to argue Klingon aesthetics.

>Thanks for your opinion.

Opinion?  What opinion??  I'm *right*, dammit!  :-)

~mark

Back to archive top level