tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 20 11:33:00 1996

Re: KLBC:Name that Song

At 04:24 PM 5/16/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>Sorry about the spelling mistake it was meant to be *encrypted*.
>
>qatlh ngoqHey Dalo'?

Why do I apparently use {ngoq}? Sorry, {ngoq} is not a word that appears in
my TDK, or the HolQeD word list.

>>Would it be possible to substitute *against* for *directed at* or *projected
>>at*, thus making it *Rage directed at (projected towards) the machine* or
>>{mIqta' Hotlh yIQeH'a'} or {mIqta' Hotlh peQeH'a'}
>
>Where are you getting your word translations?  {Hotlh} is given in TKD
>as "project, put on (screen)" -- it's not "project, throw, propel" the
>way you appear to be trying to use it.  It's definitely not a pronoun!
>You seem fixated on finding a translation for the word "against", and
>there isn't one.

Yes, I know, I meant it as "project, put on (Machine)". I assumed that the
text between the brackets only was meant as a example, otherwise why would
he not put that it would be only applicable to images. If I where to use the
word {naghHom}, "pebble", in the sentence {jIH naghHom jIHotlh}, I wouldn't
beable to translate it as "I projected (as threw or propel) a pebble on the
screen"
                "I put (as in laid) a pebble on the screen"
it would be     "I projected a pebble (as image) on the screen"

Why, that would make it a one use word and I don't get the feeling that it
is a one use word, only projecting images. It would then be imposible, which
it already is, for lack of the word against, for a Klingon to form an
opinion on any subject pertaining to politics and war.

>It looks like you have turned a noun {QeH'a'} "great anger, rage" into
>a verb {QeH'a'} "is he angry?" and put imperative prefixes on it; but
>imperatives and interrogatives seem incompatible to me.  You probably
>wanted to change the suffix to {-qu'} to preserve the augmented/emphatic
>nature of the anger.
>
>If "Rage against" is the command, how about just {mIqta'Daq peQeHqu'}?
>"Be very angry towards the machinery."  {-Daq} is a general-purpose
>locative suffix, and can indicate position, destination, direction, or
>other similar ideas.

That is exactly what I want, I used {-Daq} in a different mail, but never
thought to use it in this sense. You've cleared it up now.

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level