tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 19 09:16:42 1996

Re: nuqneH

toQDuq[?] writes:
>That is excellent!  I was in wonder if I could find a word for Redhawk, but
>a perousal of TKD showed me that names for creatures are not present, so I
>abandoned all hope of being able to use 'Redhawk'.

Actually, there are plenty of "creatures" listed.  Qa', pIpyuS, 'er, Qogh,
yIH, targh, vetlh, ghew... and to'baj appears in one of the audiotapes.
We know what {yIH} and {targh} and {vetlh} and {ghew} are, and the CD-ROM
"Star Trek: Klingon" refers to {Qa'Hom} as "titmouse" (a small bird).  In
one of the first season episodes of TNG, I think someone tells a replicator
to produce "pipius claw", but I don't recognize the dish that appeared as
being obviously any particular kind of animal.

>  The translation of the
>word {toQDuq} would be "Bird of Red" perhaps? "Red bird" even?

We don't really know what the separate syllable {toQ} means.  Perhaps it
indeed means "bird", or specifically "bird of prey", or "raptor".  But it
could as easily be the name of the person who designed it, or the company
that builds them, or it could be a loan-word from Romulan with who knows
*what* meaning.  It isn't really important how a name's parts translate
exactly; the name as a whole becomes the label.  I rarely think of the
word "conquerer" anymore when I see {charghwI'}, and I would guess that
{ghunchu'wI'} simply refers to *me* in most people's minds rather than
meaning literally "one who perfectly programs".

I also don't know what the separate syllable {Duq} means; I had suggested
{Doq} "be red, orange".

>  This is as
>good as I need though and I embrace the name greatfully.
>
>Qapla'!!!
>
>toQDuq

You've embraced it a little too hard, I think; it has become warped. :-)