tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 18 20:19:12 1996

Re: KLBC : Bird of Prey

Ford writes:
>Qel! Qel! jIroplaw'! (<Dey ja vu> Hotghach qab 'e' vIghaj)

You need to work on when to use {'e'} and when not to.  It's only
appropriate when an entire sentence is acting as the object of a
second sentence, and that isn't the case here.  Your object seems
to be an attempt at "a bad feeling of deja vu".  {Hotghach} is an
*ugly* word, and I don't think that's just my opinion.  According
to Okrand, using {-ghach} on a verb with no suffixes is extremely
unusual, and calls a lot of attention to the word; he calls it a
"highly marked" usage.  Anyway, {Hot} means "feel, touch"; it looks
to me like it refers to physical contact with something, and I don't
think it can work for an emotional "feeling".

In the TNG episode "Cause and Effect", Worf mentions something he
calls "nIb'poH", similar to the human term deja vu.  Adjusting for
the common Paramount misspellings, this becomes {nIb poH}, which is
either an amazingly grammatical "the period of time is identical",
or an apparent verb-noun compound.

{Qel, jIroplaw'.  cha'logh qaSlaw' poHna'.  vIparqu'.  HIQaH!}

>(Just kidding)

Okay, but that claim can't hide you from my grammatical sensors. :]