tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 17 04:26:18 1996

Re: Beginner's questions

Alan Anderson wrote:

> ... there is no single published list of the entire
> vocabulary.  It's a contentious point here, but most of us are of the
> opinion that being forced to compile one's own list of new words is a
> *good* thing.  A readily available document with a complete set of
> translations would deprive the serious students of that experience.

And besides, if someone from the KLI published the list first, either
for sale or free of charge to all members, Paramount may reach for
their lawyers.

I have this feeling that, should the full expanded vocabulary  become
available through the KLI as a KLI publication, even if it was to be
distributed free of charge among the members, Simon & Schuster would
refuse to allow Marc Okrand to use any part of that list in any
future expansion to TKD. I, for one, would much rather see all these
little terms, which I've collected painstakingly from various
sources, on the pages of a third edition of Tke Klingon Dictionary,
where they belong.

It may sound strange to you, but I've learned not to underestimate
the taHqeqpu' at Paramount. They are capable of anything. Trouble is,
not everything in the world is beneficial.

(However, if Dr Schoen would like to look into the legalities of
arranging for "the collected expansions" to be included as, for
example,  a "special pull-out section" of a future edition of HolQeD, I know that it would
be one edition of HolQeD I'd anticipate with relish).

mev yap.

Lord Sinister.
"I am Chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms.
I am the spirit in which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy. I am Chaos.
I am alive, and I tell you that you are free." - The Goddess Eris, Principia Discordia.

Back to archive top level