tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 22:15:38 1996

Re: Phonology & surroundings

>At 05:36 PM 5/14/96 -0700, wIghbe' wrote:
>>Here's another one.
>>
>>Would anyone care to speculate on where I stole the following quote from?
>>
>>HomDu' mateqchugh, vaj yIvlu'DI' chuSbe', qar'a'?
>
>In my best Klingon I would say it says something like: "Be accurate, as soon
>as it's quiet chew so, if we take of bones"

Klingon word order isn't strictly the reverse of English.  Phrases still
make sense when read in left-to-right order.

You got "if we take off the bones" right.

{-DI'} is on the verb {yIv}, so that part is "as soon as one chews it"
or "as soon as it is chewed".

{chuSbe'} is literally "not be noisy" -- "quiet" would be {tam}.

Don't neglect the suffix {-'a'} on {qar} -- it means "is it accurate?"
or, colloquially, "right?"

The whole sentence, literally translated, becomes:
"If we take out the bones, then when one chews it it isn't noisy, right?"

>It's either that ST film when they swipe the Enteprise, or it's in SW just
>before the Imperial Stormtoppers come into the landing bay.

No, it's the "Whizzo Chocolates" sketch from Monty Python.  The inspector
has just asked about the candy named "Crunchy Frog":  "Don't you even take
the bones out?"  The answer:  "If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be
crunchy, now, would it?"