tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 13 20:03:58 1996

What kind of world is tlhIngan qo'?

This general remark I have promised in my previous posting.

I think all of us have accepted the *as if it were true* attitude towards
tlhIngan Hol.

Starting with Marc Okrand (reH yInjaj! 'ej reH najtaHvIS qeylIS ghomjaj!).

Therefore we are in the domain of a *possible world*, which has its own
logic and own *truth*. Any information from another *possible world*,
including our *external world* - cannot serve as a proof of anything.

If you want to understand your own attitude without enetring into
paradoxes or contradictions I STRONGLY recommend that all of you who
want to work consciously in this domain, read books of David Lewis
on "Truth in Fiction".

Any *meta-Klingon* information is nothing but an example from another
world. The informations about the origins of ST series, of Klingon, Klinzhai,
Klingonaase and tlhIngan Hol, how they found their way into the
movies and series, how the actors were coached, how the pronounciation
of the original series influenced "double pronounciation" of {b}, how
actors now *misuse* the TKD - all this stuff is but a garbage.
We are dealing with the  REAL tlhIngan Hol as being used in the Klingon
Empire in the XXIIIrd and XXIVth centuries, how it functions etc.
and our sources are TKD, HolQeD and TKW along with two cassettes, a CD
and whatever appears next. ST series and movies (i.e. what is IN them) are
just *ANOTHER SET OF POSSIBLE WORLDS* about Klingons, so they can differ.

It's just as in one set of possible worlds of Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson
has been wounded (in Afghanistan war) in his shoulder, in another - he has
been wounded in his leg. In one set (books) - it takes 20 minutes from Baker
Street to Victoria Station, in another (TV films) it takes more than half
an hour. And the topology of the *actual* London can only serve as examples
and not proof of anything.

Same with the information about ST production, Paramount etc. and everything
that happens in the XXth centuries - they are another set of possible worlds,
althouth this one appears to be the one that is actual for us. But they
(the informations) are as relevant to what TAKES PLACE & HAPPENS in the
Klingon Empire, as are the informations about the Copyright owner, date
and place of publication, typeset used, number of pages, gramature of paper,
colour of the cover etc. of the present day edition of Hamlet to the
actual plot of Hamlet. These are just two different worlds.

Qapla'

macheq noychoH jembatoQ

lasciate ogni speranza voi qu'entrate