tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 08:50:50 1996

Beginner's questions

Greetings!

     I have been lurking here for a while and I have a few questions:

1.  What is qep'a', as in qep'a' wejDIch?  I know that qep means
"meeting".  I found 'a' on page 165 of TKD as an augmentative noun
suffix.  What does that mean?

2.  I get the feeling from reading some of the messages here that there
is more vocabulary than appears just in TKD.  Is this so?  If yes, does
the KLI maintain a full compilation of all the vocabulary?

3.  How are new words added to the language?  Are the ST writers and Marc
Okrand the only legitimate source?

4.  What about the pIqaD?  I read something recently that one or more
systems have been worked out, but that they have not been approved by
Paramount (or something to that effect).  Is this true, and is the
material available?

5.  Finally, a few comments:

     I ordered a copy of "Hamlet", as published by the KLI.  I received my
copy within a week of when I mailed my check, and it is very nice.  I am
very pleased with mine, and if you don't have one, you should order one.
Mine will be proudly taking up residence next to my TKD (1st edition from
1985!), and my new copy of M.O.'s "The Klingon Way".
     I purchased the "Star Trek: KLINGON" cd-rom.  As far as computer
games go, it isn't much of a game.  Mostly you get to watch live action,
full screen, edge-to-edge video, which is like a new episode featuring
only Klingons.  Actions are only possible at a few "decision points",
where you click on certain objects.  If you make a wrong choice, Gowron
yells at you and you get to try again.  I played the whole thing through
in two evenings, but you could probably do it in one.  Despite this, I
enjoyed it enormously.  The performances are quite good, particularly
Robert O'Reilly as Gowron.  He plays the part with considerable relish,
and looked like he was having a great time.  I recommend it.
     I have not as yet joined the KLI (because of the purchases above!),
but will do so this week.  Qapla'!

Thomas M. Zeman               "The higher, the fewer..."

Chairman, Connecticut Division, United States Fencing Association
Prime Minister, Fat Dog Fencing Club, Wallingford, CT

University of Bridgeport:  Bridgeport, Connecticut, USA
EMAIL:  [email protected]  and/or  [email protected]
PGP Public Key:  (Keyfile available upon request)

Back to archive top level