tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 15 12:40:43 1996

Klingon CD-ROM

I can answer some of the questions about the speech recognition on
the Klingon CD-ROM. We built the recognition here at Dragon
Systems (ghargh'a' patmey malja'ghom). I designed part of it,
keeping in touch with Marc Okrand, Touchscreen Media Group (who
put the CD-ROM together), and Simon & Schuster Interactive (the
publisher).

Normally, when we build a recognizer, we collect a sizeable body
of pronunciations of many different words by many native speakers,
and we then build computer models of each phoneme (elementary
speech sound; in Klingon these correspond to the letters: a, b,
ch, ... w, y, ') in many different contexts. Then we build the
pronunciation models for the vocabulary from these phoneme models.

In this case we did not have the time or resources to do that.
Furthermore, this recognizer had to be able to handle
MISpronunciations as well as correct pronunciations. So we tried
to guess how people would mispronounce the words in the
vocabulary, and recorded speakers (9 male, 7 female) pronouncing
each word correctly and in each expected incorrect way, and we
built whole-word models from each pronunciation. This method
requires less data, but it is much less flexible and gives poorer
recognition performance. Among other problems, it's much more
dependent on the particular voices and pronunciations of the
recording speakers, which may be responsible for some of the
problems DTrimboli reports.

Only after all the speakers were recorded did we receive the audio
files of Robert O'Reilly's ("Gawron"'s) pronunciation of the
words. Now, Okrand coached him all through the recording session,
and on the audio files I could sometimes hear MO in the
background, correcting or encouraging him. (That was edited out of
the product, of course.) In my conversations with Okrand, he has
nothing but praise for O'Reilly's efforts at correct
pronunciation.

But in the tutorial, ROR often draws out the pronunciation, saying
a word emotionally as in the total immersion script; and sometimes
he's just plain wrong. Okrand and I agreed that it was preferable
in this game to give "Qapla'!" to a mispronunciation than to
correct a good pronunciation, if we had to choose; and in
particular that an imitation of ROR should always be counted as
right. So wherever ROR said a word in a way matching a recorded
mispronunciation, I modified one of the control files so that
mispronunciation would be considered correct. But when he
mispronounced in a totally different way, there was nothing I
could do. I've heard, though, that Okrand's recorded corrections
then guide them to a correct pronunciation.

Another problem we could not avoid was the variety of hardware.
When people talk on the phone, you know that their voices sound
different depending on the phone they're talking from. Well,
different computer microphones have a similar effect, and so do
different sound boards and different software settings for them;
and we had no control over these. For our own products we test and
certify many kinds of mike and board. We can recommend certain
equipment, and sometimes we have to say "mike X will produce poor
results with our system; we advise against using it". We can even
build the product to adjust itself in certain ways. But we
couldn't do any of those things here. No computer yet built can
match the human ear and brain in compensating for these channel
variations, and we weren't even able to try.

I think I've put enough time into this for right now, and I hope
my answer explains a few things about the Klingon Language Lab:
      <<qay'ghachmey'e' boyaj boneHbogh vIQIj 'e' vInIDta'>>

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St. : Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/

  | KLINGON PAGE! http://www.dragonsys.com/klingon/klingon.html |