tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 15 02:31:17 1996

Extinguishing a rather dirty flame

Doy'wI' wrote:

> Now where have I heard this before?  I seem to recall that the last
> two times this sentiment was uttered, the posters were in the final
> stages of terminal irrationality.  Having fixated on a rather shaky
> theory, they went to great lengths to disagree with every argument
> presented against their point of view, claimed that only Marc Okrand
> Himself could convince them they were wrong, and finally left the list
> in disgrace rather than admit that they had taken a small idea well
> beyond its reasonable limits.

The worst ones of them all don't even bother invoking "The Great
Master" any more; they merely sneer and come up with the same, tired refutation
you just have. "Don't counter illogic with reason; counter illogic by
smearing the speaker," and so on.

I don't mean, by "logic," that you should behave in a cold manner
towards beginners. That's not "logic;" that's human cruelty and ruthlessness.

Besides, in the spirit of Doctor McCoy, what's wrong with a little
irrationality every now and then? You ever saw a clown worry about
being irrational? It's his job! And have you even considered, for one tiny moment
in your life, that the deep-rooted reason why we all study Klingon is
based on a profound belief in the need to do something as
"irrational" as learning a language spoken by extraterrestrials? And
if, in that spirit, we get damned good at speaking that language
(with a tip of the hat to the KLI staff), does it speak well for our
skills at performing feats of linguistic legerdemain, or bode ill for
our not-so-shining sanity?

Don't flame; exhort others to succeed, however shaky their grasp of
tlhIngan Hol, and even if their success is over yours. The student
must, sooner or later, outshine the master; and when the student
does, redressing the old master's behaviour will be the first thing
on the new master's agenda ...

mev yap. <jImon> puqpu' ...

"I am Chaos. I am the substance from which your artists and scientists build rhythms.
I am the spirit in which your children and clowns laugh in happy anarchy. I am Chaos.
I am alive, and I tell you that you are free." - The Goddess Eris, Principia Discordia.

Back to archive top level