tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 15 02:06:08 1996

Re: pong

> >In english: I interpret {jIpong'eghta'} as "I have
> >accomplished to call myself ..." not as "I have accomplished
> >to give myself the name ..."; that is, from the definition
> >{pong} as "name,call" I infer that it can be used to
> >translate sentences like "I call him a liar." which is
> >more like an "ongoing" action to me than a one time
> >assignment.
>
> I was referring to the initial act of naming myself, not to the continuous
> use of the name.
that's exactly what I was addressing as a "one time assignment"
{the act of naming s.o./s.th.} vs. an "ongoing action"
{the continuous use of the name}.

> I don't see the difference between "I have accomplished to
> call myself" and "I have accomplished to give myself the name."  I don't see
> how you are distinguishing "name" and "call."

I didn't want to distinguish "name" from "call" here, it
just sounded more natural to me that way. I wanted to distinguish
between ... (see above)

> According to my model, {SuStel jIpong'eghtaH} means "I call myself SuStel,"
> and {SuStel jIpong'eghta'} means "I named myself SuStel."

to me, the first means "I call myself SuStel", meaning that that's
what you call yourself all the time, stressing the fact, that this
is not an instantanious action
the second means "I have accomplished to call myself SuStel",
meaning that you don't call yourself like that anymore...

in the other direction, I would need to point out, if I
wanted to refer to the actual point in time where the naming
occurs, e.g. by saying {DaHjaj puqchaj lupongchoH} (and I'm pretty sure
btw that most people wouldn't think of {DaHjaj} as a name :)

> By the way, if I wanted to stay away from {pong} as a verb, I'd say {SuStel
> 'oH pongwIj'e'} (or even {SuStel 'oHtaH pongwIj'e'}), and {SuStel 'oHchoHta'
> pongwIj'e'}.

aha! I can see -choHta'. But to me, that's different from a
-ta' without -choH. And I apply the same understanding to the
verb {pong} (which I don't use, because obviously there is
no common understanding of how to use it :(

			HomDoq

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany