tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 12 14:56:50 1996

Re: "outpost"?

| >>        It's qeylIS again (aka Lobo). I've got a question...
| >>        How would we say "outpost" in tlhIngan Hol?
| >
| >What do you mean by "outpost" in English?  I can come up with several
| >possibilities, but I'd rather you think it through clearly before the
| >presence of a list of meanings threatens to limit your options.
| >
| >-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj
|
| I mean some kind of advanced base or something like that, not exactly
| militar but just a little bit. Maybe like those Fed "outposts". Need more?
| Thanks.

On reflection, I think that {waw'} "base" is probably your best option here.
Both "base" and "outpost" are rather vague terms, and thus cover a lot of
ground.

I see in TV Guide that the local UPN affiliate is rebroadcasting "First
Born" tonight. If memory serves, that is the episode where Worf takes
Alexander to the Klingon outpost on Maranga IV to see the Festival of
Kot'baval (spelling?).

What we saw of the outpost was a couple of streets and a square in a small
town with civilians and soldiers milling about, but no obviously military
structures in sight. (The military base was probably somewhere outside of
town; well away from prying Federation eyes.)

I recall Picard asking Worf something like:
	"Isn't there a Klingon outpost on Maranga IV?"

How would we say that in tlhIngan Hol? How about:
	marang'a' loSDaq tu'lu' tlhIngan waw', qar'a'?

Just a thought.

 Steven L. Boozer              |                       How many ages hence
 University of Chicago Library |  Shall this our lofty scene be acted over
 ----------------------------- |  In states unborn and accents yet unknown!
 [email protected]   |         (Shakespeare, Julius Caesar III.i)

Back to archive top level