tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 10 11:13:04 1996

KLBC: Just shoot me now...

I've followed this list for a couple of months now, and have started
learning the language.  I've studied koine Greek and Latin, but the
amount of feedback and immersion that this and other resources provide
make tlhIngan Hol the language I have the best chance of actually
becoming proficient in!  Ironic.

  At work today I saw a phrase on a screensaver that I decided to make
my first experiment at translating:

     "Just shoot me now..."

  My attempt:

     DaH HIbachqu'

  I think the syntax is correct, but it's too emphatic.  The original
has a sense of resignation that I don't know how to express in tlhIngan
Hol.  I don't think "neH" would be appropriate; it's more to limit an
action than express an underlying sentiment.  Perhaps the entire idea of
resignation is un-Klingon, and the comment is without accurate
translation?

  Comments, etc. welcome.

Jason, the (as yet) unnamed
--
"The unexamined life is not worth living."
                      -- Socrates

Back to archive top level