tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 09 07:26:17 1996

Re: Phonology

About Phonology/Transliteration of Loan-words:

Are there any hard-and-fast rules or even loose theories about how to handle
transliteration?

Names should be treated more like loan-words from other languages.  For
instance, "Frank" (my first name) becomes furanku in Japanese.  However, in
Japanese, the "u" is sometimes not voiced.  The end result is something that
sounds very like "F'rank'".

Originally, Tibetan had no "F" -- a "ph" had to be invented.

We can derive from certain words in TKD that English "tr" is transliterated as
tlhIngan "D".

Why can't a system or general practice be derived for Hol?  Obviously, it
wouldn't be canon but it would solve certain problems, especially in names.

--bangteH

Back to archive top level