tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 09 00:48:39 1996

Re: pong

> We all know of the problem with the word {pong}.

I'm not sure... The Direct Object of the english verbs
"to call" and "to name" in the meaning they have in common
can only be the one who is named/called something -
at least according to my English Dictionary's Verb Patterns.
Thus the name is neither Subject nor Object and should
simply precede the Object.

The problem seems to be that there is no type 5 noun
suffix that goes along with a name, but neither is there
a type 5 noun suffix for temporal phrases...

> ?{SuStel jIpong'eghta'}.

"?{SuStel jIpong'egh_ta'_}" Dajatlh qatlh DaneH?
"?{SuStel jIpong'egh}" Dajatlh qatlh DaneHbe'?
DaH ?{chay' bIpong'egh}?

In english: I interpret {jIpong'eghta'} as "I have
accomplished to call myself ..." not as "I have accomplished
to give myself the name ..."; that is, from the definition
{pong} as "name,call" I infer that it can be used to
translate sentences like "I call him a liar." which is
more like an "ongoing" action to me than a one time
assignment.

			HomDoq

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany