tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 08 21:29:20 1996

gh v. rgh

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Ford Prefect wrote:
> I am having a great difficulty distinguishing my pronounced 'gh' from
> my pronounced 'rgh'!

I can't make any promises that I'm pronouncing it the best way, but I'll
tell you what I've noticed in my pronunciation.

Syllable final "r" seems to make a small change in the way I pronounce
the preceding vowel.  The difference in my pronunciation of "gh" and
"rgh" is almost wholly due to the same changes in the vowel sound.  For
instance, take the words "Hugh" and "Hurgh".  I pronounce the "u" in the
first as in the English word "Who".  I pronounce the "u(r)" in the second
word closer to the vowel sound in the English word "her".

I can hear myself making similar changes with all the other vowels as
well.  If you like my description of the sounds with "u", but can't work
it out for all the other vowels, write and I'll send you descriptions of
my other pronunciations.

janSIy

Back to archive top level