tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 07 08:46:35 1996

Re: Cannon for Multiple Consonants

Wrote Ford:
>ghItlh Sa' qIQwI':
>>> -y' and -w' are also consonant clusters.
>> Are not. TKD lists y and w as vowels as far as I can recall.

Give me one example where -y' or -w' would appear
after a consonant. If you can't then they appear
only after a vowel, thus they are vowels. If w in
-w' is a vowel then -w' can't be consonant cluster.

example: Qaw'   Q  aw  '
                c  v   c

>> y = diphthong forming I
>> w = diphthong forming u

Sorry, I meant diphthong-forming to be an adjective

>I would truly like that to be true. Best example: Try spelling "Ice Cream"
>using the Klingon alphabet:
>
>'ayS QIym
>
>'Twould be good if y were a dipthong,

Let me rephrase:  w and y form diphthong with the
vowel they are following.  aw and ay are diphthongs
aren't they?

>but most people unfortunately consider it a vowel,

??? - but I said it's a vowel, diphthongs are vowels aren't
they?  A sound where two vowels form one phoneme, right?
Or does Finnish differ from English here? ...anyway it's
Klingon I'm interested in...

>which renders the above spelling illegal [unless MO says otherwise]

If a diphthong is a phoneme then they are cvc, thus do not
violate spelling rules. After all, there are quite a few
words with a diphthong between the consonants.

Well, are diphthongs phonemes or not?

>Qapla'
>
>Ford

Sa' qIQwI'