tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 03 08:23:37 1996

Re: Cannon for Multiple Consonants

According to [email protected]:

> Many people have given me a hard time on the spelling of my name.  They said
> that you can not have a consonant cluster.  I poured over TKD trying to find
> where they had gotten that info.  It's not there!  Not once does MO state that a
> consonant cluster is illegal!
>
> Then today I found proof!
>
> Hurgh = either 'be dark' (v) or 'pickle (cucumber)' (n)
>

> Last time I checked 'rgh' was two consonants. {{;-)

While I'm highly supportive of your keeping your name as is,
simply because I think it suits you well and you say it so
well, but if you go waaaay back to HolQeD volume 1 number 1,
the as yet unsuccessfully challenged breakdown of Klingon
phonetic rules already determined that at the END of a
syllable, you can have {rgh}, {w'} or {y'}. Other than that,
the only place two consonnants can occur next to each other in
a Klingon word is between two syllables (where one consonant
ends the preceeding syllable and the other begins the next
one). There are no permitted consonant clusters at the
beginning of a syllable.

But those are the rules for WORDS, not for NAMES. Relax.

> r'Hul (who's really trying hard not to say, "So there!")

charghwI'
--
reH lugh charghwI' net Sov.

Back to archive top level