tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 01 13:49:05 1996

Galician translation

I saw an article on soc.culture.esperanto requesting a translation of
this prose into as many different languages as possible, to be posted
on a new website in honor of the Day of the Galician Language (May
17th) in Galicia (a region in northwestern Spain).  I thought I  would
take a whack at translating it into tlhIngan Hol.  I'm presenting here
my version, for critique and commentary.  I don't plan on submitting
this for the website, as it would be somewhat presumptuous of me when
there are other, more experienced Hol translators (like, oh, say, the
KBTP and KSRP project members), but I would submit it if you all deemed
it worthy.

First, the "original" prose (obviously an imperfect
translation into English, but as I don't speak Galician, it is what I
worked from):

"I've wanted and still want the Galician language to last and live on,
because the durableness of our language is the only chance that we endure
as a nation. I've wanted Galician to live on and, besides the earthly
motherland, that homeland wich is both the land itself and our buried
ancestors- I hope that there will be this other homeland wich is our
language.

If I were to be praised someday after I die, when I am feeding the grass
of this land of ours, it could be done by writting on my gravestone "here
lies who with his work made Galicia last one thousand springs more".

Here's my attempt at a Hol version, with a more literal English
back-translation besides:

taH ghalISya'ngan Hol vIneHtaH          I want the Galician language to endure

taH juHpuHmaj 'e' qaSmoHmo'             I want this because only our language's
 neH Holmaj HoS net vIneH                 strength can cause our homeland to
                                          endure.

juHpuH Sub - puHmaj no'maj molmey je'   I hope that a new homeland
- muv Holmaj 'oHbogh juHpuH chu'          which is our language
'e' vIpar                                 will join the solid homeland -
                                          our land and our ancestor's graves.

jIHeghpu'DI', juHpuHmaj tI vIje'taHvIS,   When I have died, when I
 chonaD DaneH'chugh, molnaghDaq yIghItlh   am feeding the vegetation of our
 "naDev QottaH qaStaHvIS latlh SaD DIS     homeland, if you want to praise me,
 taHpu' ghalISya' 'e' qaSta'bogh ghaH."    write on my gravestone: "here lies
                                           he who caused Galicia to last
                                           another thousand years."

--
Mark J. Reed                     |             http://www.sware.com
Email: [email protected]  |  HP Internet/System Security Lab

Back to archive top level