tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 01 08:58:12 1996

notes on the CD-ROM Language Lab

charghwI' answered a question from peHruS that I didn't see, about
<lung>. I've been playing a lot with the Language Lab [at work!
This counts as work! }}}:-)\ ], though I haven't been through it
all, and I can answer it. Most of these examples are from the
"food and drink" category -- one of eight -- because that's the
one the Klingon team at Dragon Systems will be using for our demo
at the company meeting tomorrow.

Many of the words have a "more" button, which gives you audio of
Marc Okrand telling you more about the word. In some cases it's
purely grammatical, e.g., on <targh tIq>, he says that even though
the dish may be served with the hearts of more than one targh, the
plural <tIqmey> is never used in the name of the dish. He says the
same about <breghIt tagh> and <qagh>, but for <qurgh> 'beans' and
<vIno'va' qurgh> 'finova beans', he says that you can add <-mey>
to make it clear that you're talking about more than one bean.

In another grammatical "more" note, he explains <naHlet> 'nuts' as
being formed from <naH> 'fruit or vegetables' plus <let> 'hard',
so literally 'hard fruit'; but he also gives the plural (optional
as always) as <naHletmey>: not <naHmey let>. So this <naHlet> is a
true compound noun, not just a phrase. If a Klingon asks
forXXXXXXXXdemands <naHlet>, don't give her unripe apples; you'll
probably get them thrown at your head. <naHlet'e' vIpoQpu'! naHmey
let vIneHbe'qu'!>

(And now we know that Klingons are not strict carnivores, since
they eat beans and nuts.)

(BTW, I don't have the CD at my desk and I didn't write down the
exact quotations, so don't take any of these approximations as
canonical in detail.)

Sometimes the "more" info is cultural. For <raHta'>, translated
just as "racht", it's "There's nothing worse than half-dead
racht." (That *is* an exact quote. "Racht" rhymes with German
"Nacht", pronounced as if it were <raHt>.) And on <qagh> he goes
into some detail on the distinction between <ghargh>, which refers
to serpent worm(s) as animal(s), and <qagh>, which refers to
serpent worms alive but with seasonings and sauce added, served as
food, and which is never pluralized.

The "more" on <Duran lung DIr> includes a sentence something like
this: "Although <lung> is translated as 'lizard', it actually can
refer to any animal of that general shape, such as a newt or
salamander." (Hmmm... "<lung>" Gingrich?)

Similarly, <HIq HIvje'mey> 'beer steins' actually can also refer
to wine glasses, or in fact to any stemware, crystal, or stoneware
used for alcoholic beverages. With such generality, I suppose a
wooden bowl for mead would be included too. (Think about that one.
Most of the Klingon foods sound pretty disgusting from a human
viewpoint. OK, then, what's mead? It's an alcoholic beverage made
by fermenting the secretions of an insect. -- And it's GOOD!)

In the pronunciation practice, when you get the word right, you
hear O'Reilly/Gowron saying <Qapla'!>, while the word "Complete!"
appears on the right of the screen. That doesn't make a lot of
sense in this context. It sure looks as if they set up the
playback, then somebody decided to add a visual confirmation and
put in the English word he thought it was.

You can call up "drill" at any time. There are four different
types of drill, but you can't choose, and they seem to alternate
at random. None of them involve your speaking; they use various
combinations of Klingon text, English text, images, and "Klingon
runes", which are strings of pIqaD glyphs. Although these are the
same graphics used by the KLI, they aren't used with the same
phonetic values, and in fact it's hard to see how they COULD be
meaningful, since they're only up to 5 or 6 characters long. For
example, for <ghojmeH taj> (boy's knife, "knife for learning"),
the runes, transliterated according to KLI usage, would be
            gh ng l a               q v
            l ng gh                 l gh a v r
When you click on a rune you hear a word from the vocabulary.
Finally you choose one rune to match the picture and
transliteration. If you're wrong, a whiny, nasty, Ferengi-like
voice says something like "No! This is NOT a disruptor!"
(Sometimes it says "That's completely wrong!")  Though I haven't
played the game, I'm told that the runes aren't used in it; so
apparently they're just functioning as anchors for the audio
clips. I haven't checked to see whether a particular rune always
matches the same audio.

Qapla'! -- and also, though NOT equivalently: jIghItlhpu'.

      marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
     Subcommander Markemm,
            Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!

                         Mark A. Mandel
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
  320 Nevada St. :  Newton, Mass. 02160, USA : [email protected]

Back to archive top level