tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 31 07:35:17 1996

Re: Nice picture & KLBC

>[Try to be careful with spelling -- someone who doesn't know the suffixes
>and vocabulary very well might not recognize what you mistyped.]

I want to see if I can add the tlhIngon-Hol to my Electronic Orginiser, as a
data base of some sort.

>If you want to insult the Terran, you need to use the verb prefix {Da-}.
>Without it, you're saying that someone else is eating, not the Terran.
>Can we use {meQ} adjectivally like this?

I knew I couldn't really, but I couldn't figure out hou to turn burn into
burned.

>I always thought "burn" was a
>transitive verb, as in "burn the house", but I suppose "the house burns"
>is just as likely.  However, we've usually restricted the adjectival use
>to verbs listed as "be (something)", and {meQ} isn't given as "be on fire."
>I'd say it as {Ha'DIbaHmey meQlu'pu'bogh DaSoptaH} if {meQ} is transitive,
>or {meQpu'bogh Ha'DIbaHmey DaSoptaH} if it's intransitive.

I didn't think -lu' was possible in the list of verbs that I copied out of
K3-1, dr. Schoener's program, it says: -lu' | 5 | indefinite subject, but
isn't  there a definite subject in the sentence, Ha'DlbaHmey. I know you're
the beginners grammatarian and al that, but you've lost me their.

Qapla'

Daniel

Back to archive top level