tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 31 03:47:22 1996

Re: toughie

Mark Shoulson writes <cut>:
> ...But here is a real obscure one...
> ...If you get this one I will be very impressed. :)
>
> jajlo' He'a'Daq 'Iw lunIjbogh tera'nganmey...
>      puq Qup yab'e' ghorlaHbogh vay' luqev lomqa'pu'...
>                                     -- lojmItpu'

My translation read as:

" Bleeding humans scatter on dawn's <something>
  <something else> crowds the young child's breakable mind "
                                      -- doors

The <something>s were:
(1) There is no word for "road" in my TKD; it is obviously He', thus
    making He''a' {two glottal stops?) "highway".
(2) There is also no word for "ghost" in my TKD; must be lomqa'; I have
    lom down as meaning "corpse", I just had no idea on what the suffix
    qa' did to a noun.

However, the last line, reading as "doors/gates", gave the whole thing away.
I noticed a similarity between the lines of the tlhIngan-Hol translation and
the original English lyrics from a Doors' album.

So the original lines, from The Doors' song Peace Frog from their album
Morrison Hotel, were

" Indians scatter on dawn's highway bleeding
  Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind "
                                      -- The Doors

I assume these were the lines you had in mind :)

P.S. Realising I had words missing from my 1992 copy of TKD quite shocked
     me ... does anyone know where I can get an update of words devised
     since then?

||   *           Pi-Gamma ||
|| *  .*            CHAOS ||
||              Australia ||