tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 31 03:33:40 1996

Re: toughie

> ...But here's a *really* obscure one, perhaps even with some imperfect
>    grammar, that I thought of and just felt like putting out there.  If
>    you can track down where this is from, I'll be impressed. :)
>
> jajlo' He'a'Daq 'Iw lunIjbogh tera'nganmey....
>  puq Qup yab'e' ghorlaHbogh vay' luqev lomqa'pu'...
>                                        -- lojmItpu'

Sure thing. It matches fairly accurately (minus grammar difficulties) with
the Doors' song, Peace Frog, from their album Morrison Hotel. The lines
as the lyrics state are:

  " Indians scatter on dawn's highway bleeding
    Ghosts crowd the young child's fragile eggshell mind "

My translation roughly reads:

  " Bleeding humans scatter on dawn's <something!>
    <something!> crowds the young child's breakable mind "

The first <something> arises from the fact that the only He' in my TKD reads
as "smell, emit an odor (v)". I gather that He' is "road (n)", thus making
He''a' read as "highway (n)". Note that there are two glottal-stop letters
in He''a'. Sorry to have to point that one out.

The second <something> in my translation is just the confusion that lom is
translated as "corpse (n)", and I did not know what the suffix -qa' did to
a noun.

But I guess it still enabled me to find a similarity. :)

||   *           Pi-Gamma ||
|| *  .*            CHAOS ||
||              Australia ||
||   *  [email protected] ||