tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 30 09:47:10 1996

Re: KLBC: jIqeqnISmo'...!

David Wood writes:
>munuQpu' Huchpa'wij.

{Huchpa'} "money-room"?  From context, you obviously are referring to
a bank, but I don't think {pa'} makes sense here.  Perhaps you could
try something with {malja'}.

>[checking account]wij vIpoSmoHpu'DI' Huchwij lulanHa'pu'.

[You're consistently miscapitalizing {-wIj}.  I can deal with it, but
I have to read the letters instead of the syllables, and it makes it
a lot slower for me to read.]

The perfective suffix {-pu'} seems inappropriate here, and I wonder if
you're trying to use it to indicate simple past tense.  Your sentence
implies that as soon as you had opened your account, they had already
misplaced your money.  I think it would make more sense without {-pu'}
on either of the verbs.

"Open" might not be the right word to use in this context.  I won't
complain too much about it, but {cher} seems to have a perfect meaning.

>pIm [account]Daq lulanpu' vaghvatlh [dollar]wij!

The word order here is a bit confusing.  Are you trying to use {pIm} in
an adjectival sense?  TKD 4.4 says that verbs used in this way *follow*
the noun they are modifying, and that if you use a type 5 noun suffix,
it follows the verb.  "In a different account" would be {[account] pImDaq}.
And what's the subject of this sentence?  The way you have it, your five
hundred dollars have done the placing, and I'm pretty sure you meant that
they have been placed by the bank.  As the object of the sentence, they
must come *before* the verb.

>QaQqu' vaj pIm [account]vetlh'e' vIghaj...

nuqjatlh?  "It's really good, thus THAT account is different; I have it."
I am not at all sure what you mean.  If I assume a misplaced {pIm}, I
think you might be saying that you have that different account, but I
don't understand what you are saying is good, or why its being good is
the cause of your having the account.

>(Ecch. Reads like a student essay. But at least it's sincere... Now let's see
>how the teachers grade it...)

Sincere essays are appreciated.  Putting your own thoughts into words is
probably the best way to learn how to phrase things so they can be said
in an understandable fashion.