tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 28 18:38:45 1996

Re: My two cents.

>..."Ich wohne nicht" (I hope I spelled that
>right) is an acceptable sentence gramatically speaking, but that it
>is admittedly vague.

Thank you.  I'll wait for Marc Ruehlander to return and confirm this
(and "Ich wohne" also), but I'm gratified to find that my instincts
are corroborated by a four-year student at least.  It's still quite
possible that a native speaker will disagree with her, though.

>However, now I have a question. Why are we discussing German instead
>of Klingon? Is there a parallel sentence that started this discussion?

In a discussion of "indirect objects," Marc had referred to verbs which
"demand" locatives, and I asked him to give an example.  He didn't have
an English word handy, but he presented the German "wohne" as a verb that
didn't make sense without a locative. I didn't see that any of the given
translations were ungrammatical if they had no locative, and I am trying
to understand the situation fully.  ("Grok" is a perfect term here; the
closest Klingon translation, {yajchu'}, doesn't have the same feel.)