tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 28 06:59:10 1996

Re: nuqneH! (KaaDaQ')

>Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:52:23 -0800
>From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)

>KaaDaQ' writes:

>>ghojqanqa'wI' jIH!
>>(I am a willing student once again!)

>{jI[X]} is equivalent to {[X]wI' jIH}, and the former is usually much more
>readable.  Try {jIghojqangqa'} "I am again willing to learn."  English uses
>nouns in so many situations where Klingon really demands a verb.  I really
>think most of the places where we use "student" should say "learn" when we
>say it in Klingon.

Good point... but saying that {XwI' jIH} and {jIX} are equivalent may be a
little strong.  That's part of what E-prime speakers carry on about.
Saying "Harry is a thief" is much different from saying "Harry steals."
The former implies its's more regular and more a part of his nature than
something he just does.  Still, your point should be well-taken.

>>taHjaj boq!

>taHjaj maH!

*grin*... I know it's in Krankor's anthem, but it probably isn't the best
line to use where beginners can see it.  I think you know why.

~mark

Back to archive top level