tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 27 17:46:47 1996

Re: nuqneH! (KaaDaQ')

KaaDaQ' writes:
>cheghta' KaaDaQ'!
>(KaaDaQ' has returned!)

majQa'!  law'choHtaHvIS jatlhwI'pu', jIbelchoHtaH.
Wonderful!  While speakers are becoming many, I am becoming pleased.
Good use of {-ta'} here, by the way!

>juSta' jarmey law' naDev vISuchta'bogh.
>(Many months have passed since I have visited.)

Bad use of {-ta'} *here*, though.  Months don't pass on purpose; I'm sure
{-pu'} is more appropriate.  Also, {juS} "pass, overtake" probably doesn't
refer to the "passage" of time; for that, we have {qaS} "occur".  You have
used the suffix {-bogh} where your translation has "since"; that's not a
good match for the meaning at all, and the relative clause has nowhere to
fit in the sentence.  I read this as "many months have (intentionally)
overtaken; here which I have (intentionally) visited."  There's no easy
translation for "since", so you'll have to rephrase it.  You might say
"While many months were happening, I haven't visited here."
{qaStaHvIS jar law' naDev vISuchta'be'}.

>ghojqanqa'wI' jIH!
>(I am a willing student once again!)

{jI[X]} is equivalent to {[X]wI' jIH}, and the former is usually much more
readable.  Try {jIghojqangqa'} "I am again willing to learn."  English uses
nouns in so many situations where Klingon really demands a verb.  I really
think most of the places where we use "student" should say "learn" when we
say it in Klingon.

>taHjaj SoQmey!
>(May the converstations (speeches) continue!)

Which is it, conversations or lectures? :-)  There's a real difference.

>(cholugh lughbe'chugh pabwIj)
>(Correct me if my grammar is wrong)

{lugh} means "be correct".  It doesn't mean "to correct", the way you've
tried to use it in your first word.  We can get the intended meaning with
the verb suffix {-moH}.  You also need to use an "imperative" verb prefix,
because this is a command and not simply a statement of fact. You should
say {HIlughmoH} "cause me to be correct".

There's a word {muj} which means "wrong", but I don't know when it would
be preferred over {lughbe'} "not correct".  It's a matter of emphasis, I
guess; your sentence focuses not on wrongness, but a lack of correctness.

>KaaDaQ' (pongwIj, vIghItlhta' lughbe' chIch)
>(It is my name.  I wrote it incorrectly on purpose.)

"It is my name" would be {pongwIj 'oH}.  There's no "incorrectly" in the
vocabulary; we can't simply use verbs as adverbs like you've tried to do
with {lughbe'}.  The verb suffix {-Ha'} might be useful for this meaning;
how about {vIghItlhHa'ta'} "I have miswritten it"?  Finally, adverbs such
as {chIch} come at the *beginning* of the sentence.

>Here's what I was trying for so you can correct me if I was wrong:

Thank you ever so much for that courtesy!  Your word order is good enough
that I could probably have figured out the meaning well enough to give you
reasonably good pointers, but it's certainly easier to show someone how to
express a meaning when that meaning is known.

>taHjaj boq!

taHjaj maH!