tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 24 17:46:52 1996

Re: KLBC double object verbs

Daniel writes:
>The point here is that there is no action, it translates "I not dwell", the
>simple act of switching nicht and wohne produces an action, so "Ich wohne
>nicht"="I don't dwell". I find it strange, but that's German for you.

Okay, I misarranged the words in the first place; that garbled my question.
Is "Ich wohne nicht" a complete sentence?  I'm trying to grok the statement
that "Ich wohne" demands a locative and is incomplete without one.  I still
read "I dwell" as meaning "Dwelling is something I do, and *where* I dwell
is not really all that important right now."  I just want to find out if it
is truly nongrammatical, or if it's just a strange idea that doesn't make a
lot of sense on the surface.