tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 24 10:04:00 1996

Re: Fractions

>charghwI' writes:
>[regarding multiplication]
>>If my memory serves, my earlier solution to this was to say for
>>4 X 3 something like "Four adds itself thrice". wejlogh
>>chel'egh loS (?).
>
>That's how I did it when I translated a math drill programming assignment
>into Klingon as an example of object-oriented techniques, but nobody who
>saw the program really cared if it was grammatical or not.

Before I even saw this post, I had considered 4 x 3 simply as loS wejlogh
SImDI' wa'maHcha' moj.

loS chel wej SImDI' Soch moj (addition)
wej nge' loS SImDI' wa' moj (subtraction)
wa'maH wav cha' SImDI' vagh moj (division)

But then, of course, I am the weirdo who proposed using maHvI' for tenths
(note: that is not wa'maHvI', though twentieths would be cha'maHvI').  I even
said that one-third could be wa' wejvI' and two-thirds could be cha' wejvI'.
 In truth, since we have not heard from MO how to express fractions and other
mathematical terms, we are stuck with waiting for his answers.

peHruS

Back to archive top level