tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 20 00:27:37 1996

RE: Fractions

	I recall a discussion about fractions a while back.  I don't
remember what the result was, but I don't think we reached any
conclusion.

Anyway, I was reading about Egyptian math the other day and I got a
wild idea.  It seems that Egyptians used something called "unit
fractions", which can only have a numerator of 1 (the denominator
can be anything).  To indicate fractions with other numerators, you
have to add unit fractions: 2/3 = 1/3 + 1/3; 3/4 = 1/2 + 1/4; 5/7 =
1/3 + 1/3 + 1/21, etc.

I though maybe Klingon worked this way too.  I noticed that the
word {bID} is defined as 'half', and not 'one-half', so maybe it's
a unit fraction.  Then I got to thinking, maybe {bID} just means
'fraction' (in the same way that {maH} means 'tens').  Maybe 'half'
is properly *{cha'bID}, but klingons know by convention that {bID}
by itself is equivalent to *{cha'bID}.  Then we could have
*{wejbID}, *{loghbID}, etc.

As I recall, the big problem with fractions was indicating
numerators and keeping fractions distinct from whole numbers in the
same phrase.  With unit fractions, we wouldn't have to; the
fraction is always a single distinct number word.  Ex: 5-1/5 = {jav
javbID}.

It's totally unsupportable, I know, but it's very late and at the
moment it seems like a neat idea.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level