tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 15 15:55:01 1996

Re: "dance" (what, again?!)

[email protected]:
>>I only hope this doesn't send us all back into that bizarre discussion of a
>what
>>would be a possible word for "dance."
>>
>>Lawrence
>>
>What would be a possible work for "dance"?

wejpuH.  narghpu' veqlargh.  pIch Daghaj, Lawrence!

"dance" mughmeH QaQ <tonSaw'> 'e' vIchup.  (loQ jISaghbe'.)
chaq <ngaghlaw'> wIjatlhlaH. :-)

There doesn't have to be a single correct word.  The English word "dance"
covers a range of concepts.  There's the "dance with" meaning, where two
(or more) people waltz, or tango, or whatever; there's the description of
"move rythmically"; and there's "perform ballet" (or tap, or whatever).
I wouldn't be surprised if "foxtrot" and "ballet" fell under separate
linguistic categories in tlhIngan Hol; dance as recreation might not be
the same idea as dance as entertainment.  Perhaps dancing as a member of
a group is distinct from dancing with a partner.