tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 11 07:35:26 1996

No Subject

>Date: Sat, 9 Mar 1996 15:15:30 -0800
>From: [email protected]

>'s comments on the use of {tlhob} to mean "ask a
>question", and I wanted to share my opinion.  When you ask a question, are
>you not asking *for* (something), even if it's only an answer or some
>information.

That sounds like sophistry, trying to make it fit.  Not sure I buy this
argument.

>In PK one of the jokes contains the following phrase to mean "They ask him
>'Can we get to the Great Hall from here'".  lutlhob naDevvo' vaS'a'Daq
>majaHlaH'a'  So then, I don't think we can call this use of {tlhob} to be
>incorrect.

THIS argument, however, I think I buy.  Good point; I had forgotten that
example.  It might be an Okrandian mistake, but for something as arghuable
as this I'm not inclined to write it off as such cavalierly.

~mark

Back to archive top level