tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 09 15:20:31 1996

Re: TKD 4.4.

According to Alan Anderson:
> But your original meaning is a little unclear.  Do you really mean the
> "death" is unfortunate?  Try referring to your unfortunate *friend*.
>
> {jupwI' Do'Ha' Heghmo' jISot}

I like this, though some may dislike the word order, wedging an
adjectival into the middle of a noun-noun construction. Still,
it may work (provided that you've reversed yourself on arguing
against the use of {-Ha'} on an adjectival...

> Better yet, put the {-mo'} on a verb.  Actions cause events more often
> than mere things cause events.
>
> {Heghpu'mo' jupwI' Do'Ha' jISot} or {Do'Ha' Heghpu'mo' jupwI' jISot}.

Very interesting. I'd read the first as, "Unfortunately, I am
distressed because my friend has died." That's a subtle shade
different than your intent, and interesting to think about. The
second example becomes "I am distressed because my friend has
unfortunately died." All this because of {Do'Ha'}'s dual role
as adjectival verb or adverbial...

Heghpu'mo' Do'Ha'bogh jupwI', jISot.

Now, all parts of speech are clearly defined by affix.

or

Do'Ha'bogh jupwI' HeghHommo' jISot.

This is ambiguous as to whether it is the friend or the death
which was unfortunate. I presume it was an insignificant death,
if the friend was indeed unfortunate...

> -- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \