tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 09 13:41:10 1996

Re: TKD 4.4.

According to david barron:

> I am trying to clear up an ambiguity in TKD 4.4.
>
> The section seems to indicate that ONLY  the suffix {-qu'} can
> be used to modify a stative verb that is acting as an
> adjective.

That has been appended with CK to include at least {-be'} per
the example {wa'maH yIHmey lI'be'}. It is a small stretch to
include {-Ha'} as well. Some may argue with that, but {-Ha'}
would certainly be the easiest next suffix to accept.

It also must be tempered by the reference at the end of 4.4,
which says that when noun suffixes of Type 5 would be applied
to a noun followed by an adjectival, the suffix is applied to
the adjectival and not the noun.

Meanwhile, you also seem to have forgotten 6.1:

"Any noun in the sentence indicating someting other than
subject or object comes first, before the object noun. Such
nouns usually end in a Type 5 noun suffix."

> Example:
> I am distressed because of my friends unfortunate death.
>
> {jISot jupwI' Hegh Do'Ha'mo'}

jupwI' Hegh Do'Ha'mo' jISot.

> Or should it be
>
> {jISot jupwI' Heghmo' Do'Ha'} ?

not.

> david
>
>                        David Barron  [email protected]
>         Klingon Language Postal Course,   PO Box 37, Eagle ID 83616
>               It's FREE! Send Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope.
>                      Not available by E-mail, so dont ask.

charghwI'
--

 \___