tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 05 08:05:33 1996

Re: time

Does anybody have a problem with {tlhaq De' HInob!}? It still appeals to me
more than any reference to hours. I mean, to me the question for hours is
not {rep 'ar} but something like {rep *'arDIch*}, which is REALLY stretching
things, or perhaps {nuq 'oH rep mI''e'?}. Meanwhile, the only data provided
by a chronometer is the current time, so {tlhaq De' HInob!} seems less
idiomatic; more universal. I also tend to like replacing questions with
commands whenever possible...

charghwI'

At 01:15 PM 3/4/96 -0800, you wrote:
>>Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 11:26:30 -0800
>>From: [email protected]
>
>>For "What time is it?", how about?:
>>    DaHjaj qaSpu' rep 'ar?
>>(Literally, "How many hours have passed today?")
>
>>That would be the full form, but usually <DaHjaj> could be omitted:
>>    qaSpu' rep 'ar?
>
>Neat!  An expansion for my elliptical form (req 'ar?), hitherto without
>support.
>
>OK, it still has no support.  But at least I can claim it's an abbreviation
>of something that makes sense.
>
>~mark

Back to archive top level