tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 02 10:19:54 1996

"never again"

Rich Matheson writes:
>Excuse me, but I am VERY new to mailing lists and am not sure if this will even
>make it to the mailing list, but I had to try.

Welcome to the list, Rich.  Your note got here just fine.  Here's my spiel:

I'm called ghunchu'wI', and I'm the list's current Beginners' Grammarian.
My job is specifically to help people who are beginning to learn to write
and/or speak tlhIngan Hol.

If you want feedback on what you have written, put KLBC (Klingon Language
Beginners' Conference) in the subject line of the message.  That tells me
that I should look at the message quickly.  I will be ready to assist you
with any questions you have, or to check your grammar, or simply to offer
my opinion on your writing.  The KLBC marker also indicates that the rest
of the people on the list ought not to jump in with their comments before
I have had a chance to give my response.

>I was wondering if there is a way to say "I will never ****** again".
>
>        My best guess is "reHtaH jInot****(verb)"  Is this anywhere close?

No, this isn't close at all.  {reH} "always" is an adverbial word, not a
verb, and cannot take verb suffixes.  {not} "never" is also an adverbial.
Adverbials don't get attached to other words; they are simply placed at the
beginning of the sentence (see TKD section 5.4).  The only things that can
be attached to verbs are verb prefixes and verb suffixes;   If you want to
say "again" you need to use the type 3 verb suffix {-qa'} (TKD 4.2.3).

I'll pick a verb at random: {ghung} "be hungry".  To translate "I'll never
be hungry again" simply, I'd say {not jIghungqa'}.  I might embellish it a
bit with the verb suffix {-taH} to emphasize that the situation is ongoing
(though {not} already implies it), and say {not jIghungqa'taH}.

>Sorry this is posted as a reply, but it was the only way I could think of
>to post something.  If anyone could offer tips on how to do this properly,
>
>I would be much obliged.

I don't know what mail software you're using.  Your host name implies that
it's a VMS system, with which I am entirely unfamiliar.  Your best bet is
always to ask a system administrator, or at least talk to someone else who
uses the same system.

>Thanks for any advice (regarding Hol or etiquitte)

taghwI'pu' pabpo' jIH.  tlhIngan Hol lulo'chu'meH taghwI'pu' reH vIqeSqang.
I'm the Beginner's Grammarian.  I'm always willing to advise beginners in
order for them to use Klingon well.

Regarding etiquette: try to keep your line length down to 75 characters or
so by inserting carriage returns.  Most people read mail with an 80-column
window, and not all mail viewers wrap lines that won't fit.  It's usually
considered a good idea to keep the lines short enough to be quoted (with a
">" at the front) in other notes.