tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 01 20:56:20 1996

Re: The chegh

Welcome back, whoever you are!

[email protected] writes:
>jIchegh...nI' poH ghobe' legh, Hoch! (long time no see
>everyone!....perhaps....poH'a' leghbe', Hoch!??)

Regarding your first attempt...do you perhaps write for Paramount? :-)
Reading such perfect word-for-word "translations" makes me cringe.  The
second attempt is not much better.  There doesn't appear to be very much
grammar holding the words together.  This is likely because there's not
much grammar in the English either...so you'll have to decide what you
want the sentence to say before you try to say it.  I'll pick "While a
long time occurred, I didn't see you all," and go from there.

"A long time" is {poH nI'}.  When a verb is used to modify a noun in this
manner, it *follows* the noun it modifies.  {poH nI'} is the *subject* of
the verb {qaS} "occur" so it must come *after* the verb.  "While" is said
using the verb suffix {-vIS}, and must always occur along with the verb
suffix {-taH}.  So far, then, we have {qaStaHvIS poH nI'...}.

"I didn't see you all" is {leghbe'} "not see" plus the verb prefix {Sa-}.
If you want to emphasize the "all", you don't use {Hoch}, you use {tlhIH}
"you all" as the object, and objects come *before* the verb.  That gives
us {tlhIH Saleghbe'}.

My final sentence is {qaStaHvIS poH nI' tlhIH Saleghbe'}.

>tlhIngan Hol jIghojlI'...

Since the verb has an object, it needs to be {vIghojlI'}.  And I've been
reminded recently that learning is never really complete.  You probably
ought to say {tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaH}.

>'ach jIH *fluent*be' (chay' jatlh 'fluent'?)

Treating "fluent" as a verb, you need to use the prefix {jI-} instead of
the pronoun {jIH}.  I suggest {po'} "be skilled" yielding {jIpo'be'}.

>choteb nuq qaS

nuqjatlh?  "You fill me; it happens what?"  I don't know what you mean.

>chay' jatlh 'century'?...parHa' : cha'maH loSDIch *century*

Your verbs need prefixes; {parHa'} means "he/she/it likes him/her/it/them"
but I'm sure you meant {vIparHa'} "I like it".  Ordinal numbers (such as
first, second, twenty-fourth, etc.) *follow* the noun, so this would have
to be {*century* cha'maH loSDIch}.  However, Skybox card S15 translates
"24th century" as {vatlh DISpoH cha'maH loS} "century number twenty-four."
Centuries are apparently "numbered" rather than "counted".

>Ok! so I just wrote a ton of nothing up there.  Besides, jIqeqnIS.  Please
>correct any grammar.  Also, I really want to know how to say the words fluent
>and century in the tlhIngan Hol.

{reH qeqnISlu'taH}  Practice is important.
I hope I've answered your questions.

>qatlho' je Qapla'

{je} combines nouns and comes after them.  {'ej} combines sentences and
comes between them.  You've put {je} between two words, which doesn't work.
However {qatlho'} is a sentence, and {Qapla'} is a noun.  We don't have a
conjunction that can be used to combine them.  They must each stand alone:
{qatlho'.  Qapla'!}