tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 01 04:15:47 1996

Re: lut tlhaQ: nuq qab law' Dochvam qab puS?

I wrote:
> >meghlIjDaq yIH Datu' nuq qab law' 'e' qab puS?
> >
> >meghlIjDaq yIH bID Datu' 'e' qab law' Dochvetlh qab puS.

You replied:

> I love the joke, but hate the grammar. In the first place, we don't know how
> to make a comparative question, since it combines the syntax of a question
> (which is a normal Klingon sentence) with a comparative (which is not
> remotely like a normal Klingon sentence). We can't even be sure what the
> word order would be. If we try it, we need to go for the simplest
> combination we can, so:
>
> meghlIjDaq yIH tu'lu'chugh qabba' ghu'. nuq qab law' ghu'vam qab puS?
>
> meghlIjDaq yIH bID tu'lu'chugh qabqu'bej ghu'.
>
> yIHmey vItIvqu'... qa'vInwIj tujqu'Daq
>
> >SuHaghchugh vaj SuHegh
>
> taywIj 'oH 'ej jIHagh jIneHchugh...

If you wanted the simpler solution, why did you make it more
complicated?

Alex.

"Oh, my God, Professor! It's rampaging down 42nd Street! Guns won't stop it!" - nameless assistant
"I have a theory ... call me a fool if I'm wrong, but ... maybe if you were to load the guns with bullets ..." - Professor Commonsense
email me on [email protected]. Just call me Lord Sinister

Back to archive top level