tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 29 06:38:06 1996

Re: Klingon "was"

> [email protected] writes:
> >I was in the engine room = jonta'pa'Daq jIHpu'
> >
> >Although -pu' is not a tense word, rather is aspect, it still indicates that
> >the action is complete.  The sentence implies that the speaker is no longer
> >in the engine room.

jang ghunchu'wI'
> I don't think the perfective aspect says anything about having *stopped*
> the action, merely that it is complete.  The sentence {pa'Daq jIHpu'}
> "I have been in the room" could easily apply even if I were still there
> while I was speaking.

jIyajlaw'. Could you then say, <pa'vamDaq jIHpu'> while standing in the room,
meaning "I am still here in the room, but my purpose here is done."  And
possibly imply that one's departure is imminent?  Come to think of it, can you
put a verb suffix like -pu' on a pronoun like jIH?

taDI'oS vIq

Back to archive top level